…I am the world’s biggest dork. I embrace it. I have some really unusual idiosyncrasies, and, honestly, am quite surprised that anybody wants to spend any time with me sometimes!! I know that my kids will disappear upstairs-sometimes for hours!-just to escape from me. But, many of you don’t have the luxury of spending time with me; so in order to make your lives more complete, I am willing to share some of my more dorky traits… *I accept expensive gifts and money only.*
10. I like spiders. I blame my mom for this. When I was small she would not allow us to kill spiders, for any reason, EVER! We had to pick them up and put them in her house plants so that they could eat the bad, annoying, no good bugs that came around. Then, when I was in high school she bought my sister a pet tarantula named “Bubba”. We would hold and carry around that spider and let him crawl all over us; we fed him crickets and cleaned out his exoskeleton after he molted. Spiders have a special place in my heart now and I really hate to see any harm come to them.
9. I am allergic to watermelon. I know, right?! I eat it and my ears itch, my throat closes up, I start coughing and I get a really deep, raspy voice. It takes hours for the effects to wear off. BUT…I LOVE watermelon and I eat it every chance I get. It is my absolute favorite fruit (OK, to be quite honest, it is probably the ONLY fruit I like). I’ve just learned to stop eating when the ears start itching so my reaction doesn’t get too bad.
8. I have never lived alone, and I never want to. I grew up with 3 sisters and a brother, dogs, cats, birds, a spider; we INVENTED chaos…I absolutely cannot handle quiet and loneliness. That is probably why I have 4 kids and 2 cats. I don’t think I could survive without the busy-ness and loudness of my life!
7. I am a horrible singer (and that is not just a backhanded attempt to receive a compliment). It’s not the “Oh, you’re not THAT bad” kind of singing either; it’s the horrible, cover your ears, glass shattering, world-is-ending-grab-your-kids-and-run-for-cover BAD. But, I sing all.of.the.time. I sing songs about what I am doing, I sing to the kids, I make up silly songs for and about them CONSTANTLY! Yeah, I really don’t know what my problem is.
6. I HATE being healthy. I hate (almost all) vegetables and I like very few fruits but I LOVE chocolate, cookies, cake and candy. (And I have a fierce Diet Coke habit!) If you were to go to my Pinterest page and look at my recipes you would see that almost all I pin are dessert recipes!! I also love salt-
somewhat to the point of excess. I do not make myself eat things that I do not like, but, luckily, I enjoy exercising-running especially-so I feel that it equals out a bit. I would probably be able to eat healthier if all vegetables tasted like chocolate-so, scientists of the world, get on that. Stat.
5. I am not a romantic person. If I read a book in which everything works out super well in the end and everything is all tied up with a big fancy bow-I am just so disappointed by the book’s unrealistic view (see Memoirs of a Geisha’s ending for a perfect example) and it ruins the whole book for me. It’s not that I like sad or unhappy endings, I just cannot view things unrealistically. I am an overt realist, and I overcompensate in my dealings with others because of this. I have a tendency to be too motherly and protective of others because I don’t have the ability to look at things through rose colored glasses and I want to “tender the blow” when the bad things happen. I wouldn’t say I am a negative person, I do find happiness every day, however, I don’t believe that ignoring reality creates positivity either.
4. I love black clothing. I have a tendency to wear black and grey everyday. I really just feel better in black clothes. Maybe I’m a vampire at heart or something.
3. The first newborn I ever held was my son, Oliver, and I fell madly in love with him right away! I was 21 years old.
2. I can (usually) always tell when food is done cooking by smell. This is also something I attribute to my mom. She has this super smelling ability and would always randomly say “The cake’s done” and I’d check it and it always was!! Now I can tell by smell (usually with cakes and cookies and some chicken dishes), but I know it’s a learned trait. Due to this, I rarely have to set a timer, and I am usually spot on, but not with chicken nuggets, which I always seem to burn (sorry, Jules!).
1. I hate being the center of attention. I don’t like getting up in front of people, I don’t like parties, I don’t like receiving gifts. I feel so self-conscious that I freeze and cannot appropriately react and end up hating myself for not giving the “correct” facial expression, or comment or reaction. I always worry that I am going to make someone feel bad if I don’t act happy enough or don’t smile big enough, and I don’t want to seem fake, so I just end up in inner turmoil.
There, now you know more about me than you ever wanted to know!! Feel free to share some of yours so that I don’t feel quite so alone here!!